Monday, March 21, 2011

Heal Already, Dang It!

If you read my most recent post, you'll know that I've been learning to ride a motorcycle and that two weeks ago I crashed and burned on a turn.  Well, crashed at least.  This is what she looked like while lying pathetically in a pile of sand after the wreck.  I was glad to have my cell phone in my pocket so I could call for help, and I was equally happy to be able to get some pictures of her after her first wreck. *sniff*  Molly took it like a champ! She certainly fared better than I did at least.

 




I wasn't hurt nearly as bad as I would have expected, but that deep scrape on the top of my knee is being a real pain. It was such a deep gouge that it is taking FOREVER to heal.  It gets smaller and smaller, but it still hurts sometimes.  Like yesterday, when I was trying to slip in the door without letting my Chihuahuas get past me, and I scraped my bare knee roughly against the metal edge of the screen door.  An entire rainbow of words escaped my mouth at that event.  OUCH. I was finally able to wear jeans Saturday evening, although any time I had to bend my knee it was uncomfortably tender and sore where the jeans pressed into my knee.  Which was pretty much any time I had to take a step or sit down. But that's still an improvement considering that for a long while even my baggy, light cotton pajama pants hurt whenever they would gently brush against my knee while I was walking.  I'm pretty sure these bruises are going to be sticking around for several more weeks, unfortunately. I guess I need to work on getting a tan so they'll be less noticeable!

I've been waiting to be able to wear jeans again (without pain!) so I could get back on Molly and do some more practicing. She's got her new shift lever installed and has been waiting patiently for me to take her for another spin. I'm hoping this week I'll be able to get out there! I have to admit I'm a bit nervous to go out by myself, especially since it's been 2 weeks since I've been on her and am probably rusty on the little bit I'd learned. Not to mention, since I'm not fully healed from my last crash, I can't help but wonder how badly it would turn out if I happened to wipe out again. I'm going to have to rope Sam into cruising the loop with me so he'll be on hand if I need him! The weather has been sensational lately, so I know he won't mind a chance to get out on the bike, even if it is just to lap me around the loop for a while.

6 comments:

  1. I kinda wish you had taken up mudding in a pickup truck, instead. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvin - I could still get hurt doing that! :) But at least I realize how dangerous motorcycles can be and am prepared to do my part to make it as safe as possible. I know too many morons who refuse to wear helmets and who like to show off and do stupid things on their bikes. I don't want to be one of them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be just like you when I grow up and get my own bike. What a champ you are knocked down but willing to get back on that horse and bitch slap it until it is tamed. I am impressed. I'd be scared to death to get back on. Sorry your knee hurts but you have a great story to tell. Nothing is more cool than a motorcycle scar. It's even better when you were doing the driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - Thanks! Surprisingly I actually feel less nervous now that I've gotten my first real crash out of the way. I've been REALLY cautious and timid about riding. It took my husband YEARS to convince me I should learn to ride instead of just riding on the back. Hopefully when I actually do get back on I'll still feel this confident!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Your poor knee. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete