Some friends and I were sitting around the kitchen table the other day, just minding our own business and having a nice chat. Our calm, relaxed interlude was interrupted when one of the lightbulbs in the ceiling fan above us exploded. EXPLODED! It rained glass shards down on me, littering the table, bench and floor with debris. We looked up in shock and saw smoke wafting away from the remains of the bulb and filament that were still screwed into the socket. Good thing we hadn't started eating dinner yet, or all our food would have had to be tossed out. Lots of tiny little slivers of glass can really ruin a good meal!
Never in my life have I seen a lightbulb explode. I've seen them blow out with a loud pop when you flip on the light switch, and sometimes smoke would fill the glass. But this was the first time I've ever had one actually break the glass. And it wasn't even right when we turned the light on. It had been on for some time before it decided to give up the ghost. That bulb must have been a little drama queen to feel the need to "go out with a bang" like that. I guess it preferred making a grand exit, like Dumbledore in "Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix". Dumbledore's got style! I love that scene. It makes the whole magician-disappearing-in-a-cloud-of-smoke routine look so five minutes ago.