Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When the Census Comes Calling

Unless you've been living under a rock, all you USA-ers out there know about the 2010 Census.  Back in March I received a notice that I would be receiving a Census form.  Then I received my actual Census form to be filled out and returned.  And then I received a notice reminding me that I had received the Census and please don't forget to fill it out and return it!  All of this before April 1st, the date referred to in all the questions. Couldn't they have waited until closer to the reference date before sending these things out?  If you mail them out 3 weeks before they can fill them out and send them back in, it's no wonder so many people never do it!  They probably lose them or completely forget about them.  Even the last reminder is sent out before April 1st.  

If anyone doesn't send in their Census form, they're going to send someone to your house to try to get you to answer the questions on the spot.  I'm sure most of you already know all of this and have probably already experienced it.

BUT - Did you know that if your neighbor doesn't fill out his form, and doesn't answer his door when they come knocking, that they will knock on YOUR door to see if YOU can help them fill it out?  That's right.  Someone came to my door the other week and when I saw the Census Worker ID badge and the Census form in his hands, I was about to open my mouth to exclaim that I had already sent in my form when he started asking questions about my neighbor across the street.  Just how accurate do they expect that information to be, anyway?  The only reason I even know this neighbor's name is because my friend is his landlord.  But I only know his first name and I certainly don't know his birthday! 

After that, about a week later they sent around a Quality Control person to ask me the same questions again.  And guess what?  I still didn't know his last name or his birthday!  Gee, I'm so glad I can do my part to help my country. 

Image found here.

7 comments:

  1. I like to fill out multiple census forms, all with different information, for the same address. Then when they come around to clarify, I try to confuse them more. It really doesn't take much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They try and get info from the neighbors? I had NO idea. Huh. I bet there aren't too many people that know the birthdays of nearby household residents. Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvin - Hmm... I don't know. That sounds like a lot of extra work for me.

    Spleeness - I had no idea either until they showed up on my doorstep! They certainly don't put THAT in their TV commercials. I have two neighbors (fairly new) who live behind me, and I don't know either of their names. I do know their dogs' names, so maybe that will be of use to the Census if they come knocking again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that doesn't seem quite right. What if you unintentionally gave the wrong information? Isn't no info better than wrong info?

    Maybe the next time you see a Census person headed your way, you should hire Christopher Walken to answer the door . . .

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/4165/saturday-night-live-census-taker

    ReplyDelete
  5. JD - Well THAT would have been a LOT more fun! Darn it, I'm always behind the curve. Maybe I'll be lucky and one of my other neighbors won't have filled out their form. And you know, if I'm going to count candy bars and plants, my own Census form was WAY off...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes perfect inefficient sense for our country.

    jenji

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like JD's idea of having Christopher Walken answering the door. Or put on a silly Halloween mask and act like a crazy person. THAT'll make sure they never come back to bother you again.

    ReplyDelete