Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Heat Won

So today I finally broke down and turned on the AC.  I might be the only one in Myrtle Beach who waits until June to turn it on every year, but I love the fresh air that comes from leaving the windows open.  My DH and I like to be warm, so we try to last as long as we can before we give in.  Basically when the nights start getting warmer it's time to turn on the air conditioning.  This year I'm actually early!  Normally we don't turn it on until we almost can't sleep at night for the heat and humidity.  It hasn't quite gotten that bad yet (thanks to ceiling fans) but based on this week's upcoming forecast it wouldn't have been long! 
Now I just need a swimming pool.  I miss having a pool so badly.  I was actually severely tempted to buy one of those inflatable kiddie pools.  They have one that's ten feet long!  Of course it's less than 2 feet deep, but at least I can lay down in it and swish my arms around some.  As the summer gets hotter I may actually get it.  My neighbors down the block just got a fancy inground pool.  I'm so jealous.  Do you think it would be too obvious if I all of a sudden decided to be neighborly and introduce myself and find reasons to come over?  I mean, DH and I have only lived here for 6 years.  It's never too late to make a new friend, right? 

When I was a kid we didn't have air conditioning until I was in 7th grade.  And even then it was just one single window unit for the whole house.  How in the world did I survive those summers without sweating to death?  Oh wait, I remember.  We had a pool! 


8 comments:

  1. No AC? Say whaaaaaaaaat? Oh my ... HATS OFF TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you AND my darling wife. It was her plan to build a house with a pool when we moved to Florida. We did neither, and she's been very disgruntled about it. We keep talking about putting in an in-ground pool, but many people don't use the pools they have. They're like big, immovable boats. We're also thinking about a swim spa. It's a little cheaper than an in-ground pool, more functional (swimming) and if you leave it above ground, you can easily service the mechanical parts when they break. Plus you save the cost of a permit. You can build a half-height deck around it and make it nice. We still have to put a pool cage over it - you can't have a pool in FL without a pool cage, or the bugs and alligators just move right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say get the kiddie inflatable pool. A big one. I used to love playing in one with my ids, but who says you need little kids to enjoy like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annah - I know, right?! I've been enjoying it now that I've turned it on, but now I find myself rarely venturing outside. Gotta get that pool...

    Marvin - GET THE POOL! Is a swim spa like those Endless Pools that have the current system, like a pool version of a treadmill? I'd love to have one of those! I'm with your wife - get a pool or swim spa (those pool cages are awesome, by the way) and enjoy your summers even more!

    Pseudo - I think I just might. I found some ground covers that you set the pool on, so that would solve my problem of wondering how I would mow and weedeat around it without popping it! I think that pool would be one of the best $25 purchases ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang it! I didn't have a pool OR air conditioning when I was growing up.

    I'd seriously love to have a kiddie pool in our backyard, even if I couldn't fit my whole body in it. I guess I'll just have to crank the A/C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed you were able to wait this long in Myrtle Beach!

    My parents had AC in their bedroom and that was it! I try to just have it in the kids' room and only use it during the worst days and nights. Otherwise, I get by on ceiling and window fans. It's hard to be green when it's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JD - I only had those little baby pools when I was really young, but eventually the pools got bigger and bigger until we got a nice big above-ground pool that my dad built a huge deck around. Loved it!!!

    Theresa - I know, I hate having to turn it on, but I love having it so I don't have to suffer through the heat. We keep it at about 78 to 80 and still use ceiling fans when that's not quite cool enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! at least you have AC. I live in CA and just have a damn heater!!! thankfully, it doesnt get too hot in the bay area, and i can always walk to the grocery store and sit next to the produce isle for a few hours. THey have internet at safeway now, right?

    ReplyDelete