Friday, September 17, 2010

The Garbage Disposal of Death

I really hate it when the little plastic caps from soda bottles fall into the garbage disposal.  I usually don't even know they're in  there until I turn it on and hear the familiar sound of plastic bouncing around in the blades.  It sounds particularly unnerving when the blades actually happen to snag the sides of the cap and attempt to chew it up.


Every time I have to stick my poor, soft, easily-mangled hand in there to pull the offending cap out, I can feel the skin on the back of my neck start prickling. Visions of The Amityville Horror flash into my head as I remember the scene where something gets dropped into the garbage disposal (an engagement ring probably).  They dutifully use duct tape to secure the garbage disposal switch into the off position - Safety First! - and then the guy heroically shoves his hand in there to retrieve the ring.  And then I watch in horror as the switch powers through the duct tape and into the on position and said guy is now sporting a massive trauma from his stump of a wrist.  Blurgh!


Do I really need to get that cap out of there?  Maybe if I ignore it, it will just go away.  It's not really that noisy is it?  Maybe no one will notice.  I can always just turn up the volume on the TV, right?

5 comments:

  1. Put some ice down there. I'm told that's supposed to sharpen the blades. Meanwhile, it makes an awful racket, which will hide the sound of the cap bouncing around. And maybe it will also get chewed up, along with the ice. It's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvin - I've heard that too. But I was brave and stuck my hand in there to get it out. I've actually had to do it a few times, but it still makes me nervous every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me think of our duty each of us has to do something about it if we know of anyone who could attack any minute because of their mental health or not being able to control their sexual urges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By now it's got to be gone, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendi - What should be gone? The cap, or the evil thing that is going to mangle my hand one day?

    ReplyDelete