Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal. And So Do the Weeds.

When visiting my parents' house recently, I noticed they had a little something extra on their door mat.  They have one of those coconut coir mats, with the really rough, porous material.  Sometime this year a little seed found its way into the weave of their doormat and made itself a home!  This little baby is growing right in the doormat, and seems to be doing quite well.  It's kind of cute, isn't it?  I mean, you know, for a weed and all.

4 comments:

  1. Today I saw a palm tree trying to grow out of a crack in a curb in a parking lot. Virtually no dirt near it. Just poking up through the crack in the concrete. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvin - And even in a hurricane those things just don't fall down! Well, not as often as other types of trees at least. You should take a picture of that tree and post it on your blog. I'd like to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, and you can't kill a doormat weed. I mean it's cute and green and everything. Aren't weeds supposed to be brown or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. NGIP - My weeds are always green so they can smugly mock my patheticly sparse grass. But I figure if I keep them mowed nobody will realize my lawn is all weeds - from a distance at least.

    ReplyDelete