Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Well, at Least I've Been Writing SOMETHING!

I haven't been writing much on my blog, despite a few decent ideas tumbling around in my head.  But I have been writing some lenses (articles) on Squidoo!  I actually churned out about 5 of them in the past week or so.  I wrote 3 of them on local places here in the Myrtle Beach area that I enjoy - Huntington Beach State Park, Atalaya, and Brookgreen Gardens. There's nothing like writing one of these lenses and telling others about how awesome you think they are to make you want to go out and visit again!  My park pass just expired at the end of last month though, so I'll have to pay admission to see Atalaya and Huntington Beach or break down and buy a new annual pass.  I haven't been to Brookgreen in way too long.  I really should get back there.  It's a shame that I drive by so often and never stop in to enjoy it. 

I also wrote a lens on Swan Lake Iris Gardens, which is in the town where I was born and raised.  I never really realized how awesome it was to have something like that in my own backyard until I moved away and saw that every city didn't have one like it.  When I was researching the lens I found out that you can't feed the swans and ducks anymore.  That's so sad!  We used to go all the time, and we'd always take a loaf of bread to feed them with.  It was a great way to enjoy the birds up close.  But this is much healthier for the birds - they stick to their specialized diet and don't ruin their supper with white bread and cereal! 

The last lens I wrote was on barcode art.  Have you ever seen this?  There are a few ways it's used.  Some people distort the barcode into different shapes (that still scan!), or use individual barcodes to make portraits.  Others cut barcodes from packages and make collages with them.  I particularly like the graphic design businesses that create pictures with the barcodes to use on packaging.  They're just so fun! 

So anyway, that's what I've been up to.  I'd love it if you would check out the lenses and let me know what you think of them!  I'm not much of a writer, so I know there is plenty of room to improve. 

7 comments:

  1. I will go check it out! Glad you've been productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good job on those Squidoo articles! Is Squidoo like a wiki-travelogue? It's neat! Did you get your name in a byline? I didn't see it. Anyway, nice job! You took the pictures too? It's VERY professional-looking! You're such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvin - Squidoo is a site that allows anyone to write articles (called a "lens" because it is your point of view) about any subject (no adult content though!). On the right hand side of the lens is my picture, username (Surfie), and a small bio. If you click on the pic it will take you to my Lensmaster page and you can see the links for all the lenses I have written. I took some of the pictures, but many are linked to their sources. Thanks for the positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone is writing less posts. That's what summers are for! It sounds like you're enjoying yourself. I'll check out the links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the links. Someone named Travis just commented on my blog that he put my Northport post on this blog below:

    http://mytownmonday.blogspot.com/

    You should comment to him about your posts so he can consider putting up those links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theresa - Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out.

    ReplyDelete