Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Nightstand is an Armchair

So I was searching for good blogs to read the other day, following the links of blogs that other people are following, and I stumbled upon a blog by Spleeness with a catalog rant.  This blog ripped the JC Penney catalog a new one over their chosen interior design style - which basically was a theme of impracticality.  All those pretty bedrooms and living rooms were nice looking, sure.  But who could live in them? All those neat living rooms and clean, bare nightstands - they'd last maybe a day in my house before they were all cluttered and "lived-in". 

This got me to thinking about my own nightstand.  My nightstand is an armchair.  The chair was originally in the living room, but when the hubs and I bought a recliner, there wasn't room for it anymore.  So I thought it would be a good idea to put it in the bedroom and have a nice little sitting area for reading. I imagined it being a pretty, cozy space like the pictures in the catalogs and magazines, of course.  But you know what they say about the best laid plans...  My armchair sits right next to the bed, and it didn't take long to realize what a great place it was to lay my books, stereo remote, magazines, notebooks and pens, and everything else that I'm too lazy to get up and put away. So now it's too inconvenient to excavate the chair if I want to read and I just end up sitting up in bed to read anyway. 

But hey, at least if I fall out of bed and crack my face on the "nightstand", I won't poke my eye out on any sharp corners.  Unless there's a hardback book in the line of fire of my face, of course.

3 comments:

  1. I could use an armchair in my bedroom for extra "stuff." Except I've had to move all surface objects to drawers so my cat won't knock them over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you put enough surface objects on your armchair/nightstand, the first time your cat jumps up on it she'd just slide right off onto the floor. She probably wouldn't enjoy that and wouldn't do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, first thing I thought when I read the title was "how cool, I should try that!" and then I realized later that you linked to my post when I was ranting about catalogs being so unrealistic. (Thx!!)

    You hit it right on, sistah!

    ReplyDelete