Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas at My House

When I was a kid, we always spent the weeks before Christmas hefting presents and shaking them and trying to figure out what was inside.  My parents made it even more of a challenge for us by not putting our names on the packages, so we weren't sure which gifts were for which sibling.  They'd just assign a number to the name tag (1 through 3 since I have two brothers) and only they knew which of us was assigned which number.  And if that wasn't enough, they also "rigged" the packages so we couldn't tell by weight or sound what was in it.  They'd put marbles, pennies, jingle bells, washers and other hardware into the boxes so they'd make a lot of noise and we'd have no idea if it was the actual gift or the little extras making that sound.  And then the odd brick or other heavy object would be placed inside to throw off the weight.  And of course you would never be so silly as to assume the box your gift was wrapped in was the actual box it came in.  So even the shape of the box was no help.  It was infuriating!  And a whole lot of fun.  I love a good mystery, and it was great to try to figure out what was in those packages.  A friend of mine used to always open her packages early and play with the toys.  Then she'd reseal the packages (which were hidden quite poorly in her mother's closet) and by Christmas she'd already be bored with them.  Where's the joy in that?  She'd be left with no surprises, no fun from her gifts, and she'd have to pretend to be surprised when she opened them on Christmas morning.  So sad! The anticipation is half the fun!


I remember the year my older brother bought me a Caboodles case.  I had wanted one so badly!  He rigged the package, but didn't think to tape down the handle.  So every time I shook it, I could hear the very distinctive sound of the handle banging up and down.  But I hate it when people are able to guess their gifts before they open them so I pretended I just couldn't figure out what was in that box.  It always takes all the fun out of giving and trying to surprise someone if they're able to guess what it is before they open it.  :(  So to all of you good guessers out there, pretend you don't know what it is, even if you do!  It will keep the fun going for everyone.  :) 

First photo found here.
Second photo found here.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right. One year, I announced what was inside each of the gifts I received, before I opened it, and got them all right, even the color. My family found that annoying, so I stopped. Being psychic isn't all it's cracked up to be. ;-)

    ReplyDelete