Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Can Tie My Shoes!


I've been thinking a lot about the memories I have from when I was in school and growing up.  There seems to be at least one bold memory that has survived the years for each grade in school. I'm not quite sure exactly how old I was during some memories, but many of them have details that remind me of how old I was.  Kathy of The Junk Drawer recently posted a question asking her readers what our very first memories were.  The only early memory I could truly date was in K-4 (preschool).  Our first day of class, I was the first student to arrive and the teacher, Mrs. Dudley, had placed our names on the desks.  She asked me if I could find my desk.  I guess I couldn't read yet, or at least not well enough to know my name, and I picked the wrong desk.  But I think I did get the first letter right.  I also remember sitting on the floor of her classroom with a bunch of donated shoes and learning how to tie shoelaces.  Now they have all kinds of nifty books and toys to help you learn to tie shoes.  I'm a little bit jealous.

If I want to get technical, I remember what must be an earlier memory, when I almost drowned in the pond in our backyard .  Except I don't remember the actual incident. I thought I had dreamed it for the longest
time.  And I also remember playing in the nursery at the first school I went to, with those giant cardboard blocks that were painted to look like bricks.  I don't know how old I was there though.  It could have just been after class while we waited to be picked up by our parents.  Does anyone remember those blocks?  They were pretty awesome.  They still make them too!  You could make some pretty nifty forts out of these things. 



First photo found here.
Second photo found here.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when Velcro shoes came out, and I thought, what a terrible thing to deprive children of such a rite of passage as learning to tie their own shoes.

    I don't remember those cardboard blocks. I had wooden ones of all shapes and sizes and colors, with lead-based paint that tasted quite good.

    ReplyDelete